Please click on the following images below for more information
Brevard County Emergency Management Shelters
Brevard County strongly urges that a Public Evacuation Shelter be used only as a last resort. You will be more comfortable sheltering with friends, family or in commercial lodging. For any member of the public who lives within low-lying, flood prone areas, mobile or manufactured homes, on the barrier islands (to include Merritt Island) or who does not feel safe within their homes and does not have another alternative, please be familiar with your closest preferred evacuation shelter location and your planned route to that shelter.
There are three types of public evacuation shelters in Brevard County: primary evacuation, pet-friendly, and special needs. Primary evacuation shelters are designated for the evacuation population, but pets (except service animals) are not welcome at these shelters. For individuals evacuating with pets, Brevard County has four designated pet-friendly shelters. For those with special medical needs and those who may need transportation assistance during evacuations, you are encouraged to sign-up on the Brevard County Special Needs Registry.
Plan to bring the following with you to the shelter (some of these may be found in your disaster supply kit):
All Required Medications And Medical Support Equipment
- Wheelchair/ walker, oxygen, dressings, feeding and suction equipment, diapers, etc.
- Any specific medication or care instructions (2-week supply)
- Name and phone number of physician/home health care agency/ hospital where you receive care
- If you are on a special diet, you need to bring a 3-day supply of nonperishable food, per person.
Food and Water/ Liquids
- Snacks, juice, sports drinks, water, fruits, crackers (3-day supply)
- Bring your own pillows, sheets, blankets, portable cot or air mattress, chaise lounge, folding chairs, or sleeping bags for each person. Evacuation shelters tend to be cold so bring something to keep warm. Cots or beds are NOT provided at the shelters.
- Wills, deeds, licenses, insurance policies, home inventory, doctor’s orders, Do Not Resuscitate order, Living Will, etc.
- With photo and current address, and medical identification card
- Check cashing / credit card services may not be available for several days after the storm. BUT: Don’t bring too much! There will be no place to secure money or valuables at the evacuation shelter.
- Small games, cards, books, magazines, etc.
Personal Hygiene Items
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, towels, brush/comb, dentures, glasses, eye drops, diapers, etc.
- A 3-day supply of comfortable clothing with extra sets of underwear and socks.
The following are not allowed in evacuation shelters:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Non-prescription drugs
In Primary Evacuation and Special Needs Shelters, pets are not allowed (except service animals).
Shelter openings are incident-specific. Never go to a shelter unless local officials have announced it is open.
Pet-Friendly shelters are only open to people and pets coming from mandatory evacuation areas.
Brevard County Emergency Management Office
1746 Cedar Street
Rockledge, Florida 32955
Tel: (321) 637-6670
Fax: (321) 633-1738