Candles and Heating Safety
Candles can be a beautiful way to make a house feel like a home when used safely. It is estimated that 20 candle fires occur in homes each day. Three of five candle fires happened when left near a flammable object or material.
Tips for Safe Candle and Heating Use
- Avoid using candles. Battery-operated flameless candles are a much safer alternative to real candles.
- Be sure candles are in stable, nonflammable holders.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked over or touched by children and pets.
- Make sure candles are extinguished when you leave a room, go to bed, or leave the house.
- Keep candles 12 inches away from anything flammable.
- In the event of a power outage, use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles.