Fire Safety for Disabilities
Fire can affect anyone at a moment’s notice. Use the resources on this page to learn about fire safety accommodations and guides for staying fire safe with disabilities.
Tips for People with Disabilities
- Talk to your local fire department about creating an evacuation plan to escape a fire within your capabilities.
- Keep assistance devices such as walkers, wheelchairs, hearing, or seeing assists easily accessible for escape.
- If possible, live near exit location on lower levels of a building.
- If deaf or hard of hearing, use smoke alarms with flashing or strobing lights, and a vibrating pad.
- If using a service animal, make sure to plan for their escape as well