Community Action Agency

To reduce the causes of poverty by empowering persons to become self-sufficient through case management, life management training, and short term final assistance as well as by promoting institutional sensitivity and responsiveness to the needs of income eligible persons through a wide range of federal, state and local resources.

Financial assistance based on financial need:

  • Emergency Services
    • Mortgage/Rental Assistance
    • Medical/Dental Payment Assistance
    • Prescription Assistance
    • Information and Referral
  • Cremation/Burial Assistance
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
  • Self-Sufficiency Program

Cremation/Burial Assistance

Brevard County through the Housing and Human Services Department provides funds for cremation assistance in accordance with Florida Statutes of an indigent person who has no relatives or resources that can assume this responsibility.

1. Who qualifies for the County Indigent Cremation Program?

Any resident of Brevard County who does not have any relatives or resources to pay for funeral expenses. If there are no relatives or resources to pay for burial, household must be at or below 125% of poverty guidelines.

2. How would someone apply for the Cremation Program?

They must call one of our offices to schedule an appointment. Must bring to the appointment the picture identification for all adult household members, social security cards, bank statements for the past 2 months and verification of income for the past two months for all household members.

3. Does the County help with Cremation services?

The County will assist up to $450 for cremation expenses, children and adults.

4. Can another Cremation Assistance program be used with the County's program?

No, If assistance is being received from another agency you will not qualify for the County's program.

5. Can the person making the funeral arrangements come into the office with a signed contract? (from a Funeral Home)

No, they must first come into office to determine if the deceased is eligible before signing any contracts.

6. If funeral services are more than what the County will pay, can I pay the difference?

No, the total funeral expenses cannot exceed the amount of assistance the County is paying.

7. Can I go to any Funeral Home to receive the assistance?

Yes, as long as the funeral home is willing to work with the County. It generally takes 2 to 3 weeks for the Funeral Home to receive payment.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

1. What is LIHEAP?

LIHEAP is a Federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. LIHEAP can help you stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. By doing so, you can reduce the risk of health and safety problems (such as illness, fire or eviction) The Federal government does not provide energy assistance directly to the public. Instead, LIHEAP operates in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Indian tribes or tribal organizations and the U.S. territories.

2. Who is eligible to receive LIHEAP assistance?

The LIHEAP program in your community determines if your household income qualifies for the program. You must fall into one of these categories:

  • ELDERLY - Must be at least sixty (60) years old.
  • DISABLED - Must be receiving disability benefits from either Social Security or employer/insurance disability benefits.
  • HOUSEHOLDS WITH CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF FIVE (5) - Must provide birth certificates for children five (5) years old or younger.

The LIHEAP program may also require households to meet additional eligibility criteria to receive LIHEAP assistance.* *NOTE: The availability of LIHEAP assistance is not guaranteed.

3. What assistance does LIHEAP provide?

Your LIHEAP program may be able to offer you one or more of the following types of assistance:

  • Home Energy Assistance - an annual credit based on your income and household size.
  • Crisis Energy Assistance - provides assistance for deposits and/or final notice.

If you can't afford to pay your home energy bill, your home may not be safe, and you may be at risk of serious illness or injury.

4. What information do I need?

  • Recent copies of your utility bills
  • Verification of your income for the past 12 months
  • Documentation showing income from Social Security, Unemployment Insurance Pension Funds, Disability, Wages, etc.
  • Birth certificates for all children 5 years old and under (if applicable)
  • Social Security Numbers for all household members
  • Photo Identification for all adult household members
  • If disabled, verification of disability (Social Security Disability statement, or employer disability benefits statement)
  • LIHEAP Assistance Application (Required)
  • Self Declaration of Income Form (Required)

For more information, please read our LIHEAP Letter

5. Where can I apply?

To apply for energy assistance you can bring the required documents and forms to our office or mail in copies of the required documents and forms to our office.

6. Where can I find more information on LIHEAP?

You can call the National Energy Assistance Referral (NEAR) Project. NEAR is a free service providing information on where you can apply for LIHEAP. You can speak to someone at NEAR Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM the toll free number is (866) 674-6327.

Stay healthy in your home. Energy Assistance is important to all that receive it; but more so if someone in your home is elderly, disabled or a young child 5 years old and under. These persons are especially at risk for life threatening illness or death if their home is too hot in summer or too cold in winter.

Stay safe in your home. You can face safety risks if you are unable to pay your home energy bills. Some people resort to unsafe methods to keep their homes cool or warm. These include the use of fire-places, stoves, improperly vented portable heaters, or overloading electrical circuits. These methods are not only fire hazards, but also create the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Please call for an application or assistance.

Self-Sufficiency Program

The self-sufficiency program is designed to help families with multi dimensional problems help themselves to be independent of public assistance. Barriers often include: lack of education, employment/training, vocational training, work experience, transportation, and child care. Community Action Agency staff works intensively with each family to overcome these barriers by providing counseling, advocacy, and reinforcement of self esteem. Program participants must be motivated toward becoming self sufficient. Local agencies work cooperatively to ensure that participants in this program receive appropriate services during their transition toward becoming independent families. Those services might include child care, rent assistance, tuition/books, uniforms, job placement, and minor car repairs.

1. Who is eligible?

  • Applicants who are highly motivated and have a sincere desire to become self sufficient
  • Applicants who are prepared upon enrollment or immediately search for job or enroll in training or education program
  • Applicants who qualify under income guidelines

2. Why the self-sufficiency program works?

  • Program participants are self motivated and committed to becoming self sufficient
  • CAA staff works intensively with participants to build positive self esteem and decision making skills
  • Families and staff work together to develop a realistic, step by step plan of action
  • An entire community network of services is used to encourage and support the family
  • CAA staff monitors family progress, teaching participants how to cope with obstacles that may arise

3. What is the Income Guidelines?

(At or below 125% of the Health & Human Services Poverty Income Guidelines)

For More Information

Stephanie Bryant
Dr. Joe Lee Smith Community Center
415 Stone Street
Cocoa, FL 32922
Phone: (321) 633-1951

Brevard County is currently in the process of implementing changes to increase the accessibility of information and documents on its website.  If you require assistance to better access these documents or information contained therein please contact the County’s ADA Coordinator by phone at (321) 637-5347 or by email at

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® DC is free software you can use to read and access the information contained within PDF files. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC contains many capabilities specifically designed to make it easier for people with disabilities to read PDF files, regardless of whether the files have been optimized for accessibility. It leverages accessibility functions built into Windows® and Mac OS systems and allows adjustment of user preferences to optimize the reading experience for a variety of disabilities.

Get Adobe Acrobat Reader